Keep Your Pets Safe: March is Poison Prevention Awareness Month
As a pet parent, ensuring your furry friend’s safety and well-being is crucial. However, many pet owners may not be aware of the everyday items that can be poisonous to their furry family members. This is why March is dedicated to National Poison Prevention Month. At VetCheck Pet Urgent Care Center, we want to educate pet owners on the common pet poisons that can cause harm to their beloved pets.
1. Human Medications
Human medication is one of the most common pet poisons, and it’s found in just about every home. Pets may accidentally ingest human medication, and this can be extremely harmful to them. Well-meaning pet parents sometimes give their companions human medications to help ease pain or other symptoms, but you should only give pets medicine as directed by a veterinarian. Keep all medication out of your pet’s reach, and never try medicating them at home without the guidance of a veterinarian.
Chocolate is another common pet poison that most parents know of, but a reminder never hurts! Chocolate contains theobromine, which is toxic to dogs and cats. Even small amounts of chocolate can cause serious harm, including vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and even death. Dark chocolate and baking chocolate are particularly dangerous. If your pet has ingested chocolate, seek veterinary attention and contact the Pet Poison Hotline immediately.
3. Cleaning Products
Cleaning products often contain harmful chemicals that are poisonous to pets. Household cleaners like bleach, ammonia, and disinfectants are especially dangerous. Always store cleaning products in a secure location where pets cannot access them. When using cleaning products, ensure that your pet is in a safe place and avoid using them in areas where they spend a lot of time. Read the product’s instructions carefully to avoid making a mistake that could harm your pet.
Many pet owners may not realize that certain plants can be toxic to their pets. Some common household plants, such as lilies, azaleas, and sago palms, can cause serious harm to companion animals. Research the plants in your home and ensure they are safe for your pets. If you are unsure whether a plant is toxic to your pet, it is better to err on the side of caution and keep it out of your home or put it in a safe spot inaccessible to your four-legged family member.
5. Rodent and Insect Poisons
Pet owners use rodent and insect poisons to keep their homes pest-free, but they can be extremely harmful to pets. When using these products, keeping them out of reach of pets and following the manufacturer's instructions carefully is crucial. Keep in mind, too, that your pet could be seriously harmed if they eat a poisoned rodent. If you suspect your pet has ingested a rodent or insect poison or an animal that has eaten poison, seek veterinary attention immediately.
Pet Poison Control
As a pet owner, it is your responsibility to keep your pet safe and healthy, and familiarizing yourself with common household items that can be toxic to pets is the first step in preventing poisoning. If you suspect your pet has ingested a toxic substance, seek veterinary attention immediately. Delaying treatment can be fatal for your pet. At VetCheck Pet Urgent Care Center, we provide pet poison control and are dedicated to providing exceptional care for your pets.
Don't wait until it's too late to seek veterinary attention for your pet. If you suspect your pet has ingested a toxic substance, reach out to us immediately. We are dedicated to providing the best possible care for your furry friend and will do everything we can to help during your pet’s time of need. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.