News & Press

Our latest veterinary news and trends!

3 Things You Didn’t Know Were Poisonous to Your Pet: Tips from a Veterinarian in Carmel


Because of the Internet, animal owners are more knowledgeable about taking care of their beloved companions than ever before. After all, having a plethora of information at your fingertips in your pocket makes understanding your dog or cat much easier. Despite this, though, quite a few cat and dog owners are unaware several everyday products could hurt their furry family members. Just about everyone is aware that chocolate and medications are poisonous to companion animals, however, lots of other household items are just as hazardous. Since this month is National Pet Poison Prevention Month, now is a great opportunity to increase your knowledge. Keep on reading to discover a few things you might not know could harm your fur baby.

1. Xylitol

You might not recognize xylitol by name, but you likely have it somewhere in your home. It is a common artificial sweetener used in sugar-free foods and snacks, especially chewing gum and candy. However, it isn't very sweet for dogs and cats. When ingested, Xylitol could cause blood sugar levels to drop. It's also been linked to serious liver damage. Food manufacturers are using this artificial sweetener in more and more food products — including peanut butter — so be sure to check labels before sharing food made for humans with your pet. 

2. Raisins and Grapes

You and your kids may enjoy snacking on grapes and raisins, but they are dangerous to your furry family member. Scientists aren't quite certain precisely why these fruits are so harmful to pets, but ingesting just a couple of grapes or raisins can cause severe kidney damage. 

3. Indoor Plants

If you have indoor plants, restrict your cat or dog's access. Quite a few prevalent indoor plants are poisonous to pets and can cause everything from slight digestive upset to organ failure and death. Snake plants, aloe, dracaena, and philodendrons are just a few examples of houseplants known to harm pets. 

What to Do If Your Pet is Exposed to Poison

Seek prompt veterinary support if you think your cat or dog may have ingested or been exposed to a toxic/poisonous substance. Your pet needs an exam even if they are not showing symptoms. Get a hold of the Pet Poison Helpline for additional information, including whether you need to see an emergency vet. 

If you are searching for a vet in Carmel, VetCheck Pet Urgent Care Center can help. Our veterinarians provide both preventative care and treatment for illnesses and will help your furry friend in any way possible. To learn more or set up an appointment, call now.

3 Benefits of Having Your Pet Microchipped in Carm...
3 Reasons to Train Your Dog in Honor of National T...





© 2021 VetCheck Pet Urgent Care Center.




©2021 VetCheck Pet Urgent Care Center.