Pet Poisoning in Fishers: What You Need to Know

Pet-Poisoning-in-Fishers_-What-You-Need-to-Know

March is Pet Poison Prevention Awareness Month. And in honor of this event, we would like to share some important information regarding common household poisons and toxins and symptoms of poisoning. At VetCheck Pet Urgent Care Center, we see far too many cases of accidental pet poisoning in Fishers and the surrounding areas, and we would like to help you avoid facing this situation with your pet. Keep reading to learn more! 

 

 

Common Pet Poisons

Many of the foods, plants, and products you likely have in and around your home are poisonous or toxic to your furry friend. As a responsible pet owner, it is up to you to make sure anything dangerous to your pet is kept out of their reach. A few common household things that are poisonous to pets include: 

  • Certain plants, including lilies, azalea, mistletoe, poinsettia, and cactus
  • Medications and supplements
  • Chocolate
  • Alcohol
  • Caffeine
  • Raisins and grapes
  • Onions and garlic
  • Citrus oils
  • Mold
  • Xylitol (an artificial sweetener commonly found in chewing gum)
  • Automotive fluids
  • Paint
  • Cleaning products

This list is, of course, by no means exhaustive. There could be countless other things lurking in or around or around your home that are toxic to your furry friend. For a more comprehensive list, visit the ASPCA Poison Control website

Symptoms of Accidental Poisoning

Pets that have been accidentally poisoned can have a wide range of symptoms. These symptoms can develop quickly or over the course of several hours. Signs to watch out for include: 

  • Vomiting or diarrhea
  • Excessive drooling
  • Foaming at the mouth
  • Seizures
  • Muscle tremors or twitches
  • Extreme weakness or lethargy
  • Loss of coordination
  • Yellowish or pale gums
  • Loss of consciousness

When to Seek Treatment for Pet Poisoning in Fishers

Seek immediate treatment for pet poisoning in Fishers if you have any reason to believe your pet has eaten or been exposed to something toxic. Serious damage could be occurring inside their body even if they are not yet showing any symptoms. Poisoning is an emergency and should always be treated as such. 

At VetCheck Pet Urgent Care Center, we are here to help. If you suspect poisoning, contact us or bringing them in right away. 

 

Parasite Prevention Near Indianapolis: What You Ne...
A Welcoming Emergency Vet near Indianapolis for Al...

By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to https://vetcheckpucc.com/